This Zesty Shrimp, Avocado, Cilantro and Lime Salad recipe is one of my favorite ways to enjoy shrimp. Every time I think of Shrimp I think of the movie Forrest Gump, and the part where Bubba was naming off all the dishes you can make with shrimp… I was literally taking notes back in the day. Then a few weeks ago that movie was back on TV, and I caught that part… it’s been shrimp city here ever since. I also happen to love summer, more specifically – summer garden tomatoes. Those got tossed in with the shrimp as well. And I always have avocado’s on hand as they are so versatile and I add them to almost everything.
But I need to take a second and talk about Cilantro. See, back in my previous life when I was working in kitchens, I hated this stuff. I had the crappy job of making litres and litres of ‘buttermilk cilantro dressing’ using like 3 cases of cilantro, all chopped by hand. I couldn’t get the smell off my hands for days, and just when I did, it was time to make more. I was revolted, wouldn’t touch dishes if I could smell it in there, and trust me I COULD smell it miles away. Then one day I had an authentic taco and this sneaky little bugger was hidden inside… worst part: I kinda liked it. I have been bringing it into the house lately and trying to not throw up a little in my mouth when I smell it… it took 15 years but I think I just might make it after all.
It’s not all that bad… that cilantro.
Zesty Shrimp, Avocado, Cilantro and Lime Salad
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb jumbo cooked shrimp peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed, diced fine (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper
- Let everything marinate at least 5 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients and gently toss
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before eating to let the flavors mingle