Mixed Berry Pavlova, this is truly one of my favourite “lighter” desserts. When made correctly the meringue literally melts on your tongue. Slight cracking is completely normal so no need to panic (not that you would, right?!) The texture of the melting meringue in combination with the real whipped cream and fresh berries is truly divine. The trick is after the cooking time to turn off the oven and just leave it there to hang out for another 30 minutes. How ever tempted you are do NOT open that door! Your patience will be rewarded.
I would love to hear the combination of berries or other fruit you used and how it turned out for you.
Mixed Berry Pavlova
- 6 Egg Whites at room temperature
- pinch of Salt
- 1 cup ¼Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tarter
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 4 cups of mixed berries of your choice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon White Port Wine or Brandy optional
- 500 ml Whipping Cream 35%
- Preheat oven to 275ºF
- Using a stand mixer, add egg whites, salt, sugar, cream of tartar and beat on high until soft peaks form
- Once soft peaks form, reduce speed to low and add vanilla and continue mixing for another minute
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and divide egg white mixture evenly into six or eight piles (do not place to close together as they will expand during cooking)
- Put baking sheet into oven and cook for 1 ½ hours. After that time, turn the oven off and allow to cool in the oven for an additional 30 minutes (do not open the door)
- In a bowl combine 4 cups of berries, ¼ cup of sugar and optional port wine. Mix well and place in fridge
- Using the stand mixer, add whipping cream and ¼ cup of sugar and beat on high until firm peaks form.
- Remove and store in an airtight container in refrigerator until time to serve.
- To serve, place a Pavlova on a plate, top with whipped cream and then berry mixture. Enjoy immediately