Oh those little baby bear honey graham cookies, you know the ones – they are the best road trip snack ever invented. I recently purchased a bear cookie cutter on a whim and have been looking for a justification for the purchase ever since. Well I found it now. I have no problems with the store-bought version, but I was a little curious at how I would do at making my own version of the snack. These homemade ones are really flavorful and I found them a lot softer, so to me they are now a “cookie”.
Don’t over cook them. If they turn a dark brown you have gone to far and you might as well go play hockey with them tomorrow. Keep the not so brown and considerably more edible ones in an airtight container and they will last for days. Unless of course you have some Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Toffee Dip lying around, then it’s a goner.
Homemade Baby Bear Honey Graham Cookies
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus more for rolling
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1/4nutmeg and 1/2cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and a light coating of non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk honey, vanilla, melted butter, milk and water together
- In another medium bowl, whisk flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, and pumpkin pie spice together
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients, stirring until both are combined
- Pour dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness
- Using the cookie cutter of your choice, stamp out cookies and transfer to prepared baking sheets, leaving some space between pieces
- Re-roll and stamp out cookies until all the dough is used
- Bake the cookies for about 7 to 8 minutes on a dark baking sheet and about 10 minutes on a stainless steel baking sheet or until golden brown.
- Place cooked cookies on a wire rack to cool