This Crispy Smashed Potatoes recipe is my go to side dish. They are quick and easy as most of my (already limited) time is spent on the main attraction. But they still stand up nicely as a suitable companion yet not steal the spotlight.
This is one of my no fail and I want potatoes recipes I always have on hand. It also is a great way to use up leftover sour cream or dipped into my Japanese Spicy Mayo. Not to mention it is fun to make, I mean how often do you get to smash your potatoes on purpose!
If you happen to have an air fryer, they are amazing to “reheat” the next day.
I like to introduce you to a very powerful tool in my recipe arsenal- Crispy Smashed Potatoes!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450ºF on Bake
- Wash and scrub potatoes clean
- In a large pot place potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover
- Boil Potatoes until cooked, approximately 20 – 25 minutes or until you are able to insert and remove a knife easily
- Once cooked, drain water and place potatoes onto a parchment lined baking sheet
- Add 3 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil and roll potatoes around to coat
- Using a potato masher or bottom of a glass, gently smash each potato to about 1/2 inch thickness
- Drizzle remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil on the potatoes, sprinkle with the paprika, thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in the preheated oven on the middle rack and bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes or until edges are golden and crispy
- Serve as is or with your favorite potato toppings